You DON'T need a "smartphone". Your cellphone provider's text messaging rates do apply; no charge from Twitter.
Get a Twitter account if you don't already have one:
- Go to http://twitter.com and follow the directions in the "New to Twitter? Sign up" panel.
- Log in and tell Twitter about your cellphone (you don't need a smartphone):
This is where you can set up your account to have Tweets sent to your cell phone via regular text messaging (only the ones you want... you'll choose which ones). Twitter does not charge for this,
but your normal text messaging rates from your cell phone carrier do apply.
Note: This info is subject to change by Twitter... get current instructions at http://support.twitter.com/articles/110250#
- In the upper right corner of the screen there's an icon of a person with a tiny triangle.
- Click on the triangle and select "Settings".
- On the next page, click on the link on the left that says "Mobile". Enter your cell phone number and select the checkboxes the way you want it to operate. You'll probably want to "Turn
off updates during these hours" and select something like 10 pm to 8 am. Do check the box that says "Tweets from people you've enabled for mobile notifications".
- When you get this all set up, click "Save". The Twitter screen will then show you a short cell phone number that you need to call from your cell phone using text messaging and it shows you
the text message you need to put into the body of your text message; send it and wait. The computer screen should update itself when Twitter gets the text message from your cellphone.
Follow Pastor Dave:
This is where you tell Twitter you are interested in what Pastor Dave Tweets. Pastor Dave's Tweets get sent to your account.
- Go to Pastor Dave's Twitter page (http://twitter.com/davidhakes).
- Click on the "Follow" button, toward the upper right of the screen. Now Pastor Dave's tweets will get sent to your Twitter account.
Tell Twitter to send Pastor Dave's Tweets to your cellphone:
- You should still be on Pastor Dave's Twitter page. Right next to the "Following" button on the upper right there's an icon of a person with a tiny triangle next to it... click on the
- Click "Turn on mobile notifications" . Now, when Pastor Dave Tweets, you should get the Tweet on your cellphone as a text message.
If all you ever want to do is receive text message Tweets from your favorite Twitters, that's all there is to it. There's a lot more to Twitter if you're interested. Just browse the Help
files and try things out. In particular, you can even send your own Tweets from your cellphone via text messaging-- learn how here: http://support.twitter.com/articles/14014-twitter-via-sms-faq#